Historic Glade Reformed Cemetery
The Historic Glade Reformed Cemetery, located at the intersection of Glade Road and Devilbiss Bridge Road in Walkersville, is owned by Glade Church and operated by a Cemetery Board.
While historic in background, the cemetery offers a beautiful setting (notice the photos) for the burial of a loved one. Burial lots are offered at moderate prices for the general public. The cemetery board provides very personal attention to those looking for a burial site as well as at the time of a funeral.
To talk to a representative of the board about the purchase of a lot or any other issues related to a currently owned lot, you may call the church office at (301) 845-6775.
The founding pastor of “the church in the glades,” or Glade Reformed Church, the Rev. Michael Schlatter, a “missionary” from the Holland Synod, formed the church in 1750. The first building used for worship by the Church in the Glades was erected on the site of the present cemetery. Land adjacent to the first log church was used as a “graveyard” for members of the congregation.
The cemetery, the only parcel of ground on Monocacy Manor omitted from the 1781 confiscation of Daniel Dulany’s property, has buried many early inhabitants of Walkersville (once Georgetown). Among the 750 names on gravestone inscriptions that Jacob Holdcraft transcribed in 1953 included Cramer, Devilbiss, Fulton, Holtz, Kemp, Reinhart, Winebrenner, and Zimmerman.